In Memory of Oreo

Our wonderful older guinea pig Oreo recently died, this video is in memory of her.

Thanks for watching.

Topics: Personal | 32 Comments »

32 Responses to “In Memory of Oreo”

1. Marylane Says:
    August 2nd, 2016 at 5:23 am

Thanks so much for sharing and for your love of animals. Precious Oreo reminded me of my daughters GP Millie. Keep posting and thanks again. Touched my heart and lifted my spirit.

2. Margaret Says:
    August 2nd, 2016 at 5:45 am

Oh Dr. Jones,
    This is so moving. I cried a little for your dear Oreo.
    I can see she was well loved! I hope your daughter will continue to talk to Oreo and that he visits her (and the rest of the family) in her/their dreams!

Such a lovely tribute! Thank you for sharing. I’ll send Oreo Reiki. Blessings!

3. cookie Says:
    August 2nd, 2016 at 6:01 am

Our fur babies are family members and your loss is felt ?? let me say each of yours so blessed with wonderful HUMAN family during time with you. PRAYERS …LOSS LEAVES BEAUTIFUL SHARING AND LOVE ??

4. Leena Says:
    August 2nd, 2016 at 6:13 am

thank you for sharing your loving memories of oreo. guinea pigs are such sweet little pets. i was lucky to have one long ago named “mop” and you have reminded me of what a lovely time we had together.
    i am so sorry for your loss. please take comfort in the gift of love and a wonderful life you gave to oreo!

5. Madeline Stewart Says:
    August 2nd, 2016 at 6:20 am

Even small creatures can leave huge big holes in your heart! What wonderful memories you all have of a delightful and much loved pet.

6. Jan Says:
    August 2nd, 2016 at 6:52 am

So very sorry for your loss.
    I’m sure that soon all of those loving memories will bring a smile without the tear… just not yet!
    Thank you for sharing this loving video with all of us…
    Take care,
    J.

7. Sue Says:
    August 2nd, 2016 at 7:07 am

We are sorry for your loss of Oreo. What a cutie. She was fortunate to live in such a loving family after she lost her other friend. From the photos you shared, she looked as though she had a very happy life with you. Bless you.

8. Maria Says:
    August 2nd, 2016 at 7:12 am

Thank you doctor fir sharing your memories about your lovely Oreo. It surely touched our hearts on how she was loved and cares by your family and it proved to me that someone who wants to be a good vet is to be an animal lover. I am sorry for the loss.

9. Jo Ann Says:
    August 2nd, 2016 at 8:05 am

So sorry for your loss. It doesn’t matter how big or small, it is always difficult to lose a family member. And, it’s obvious that Oreo was a loved family member.

Rest in Peace, Oreo.

10. Animallover~Jan Says:
    August 2nd, 2016 at 8:11 am

Dr.Jones-heart felt words for your very well love Little ANGEL Oreo are very true and touching.
    The look on Oreo’s face said it all when you called her name! The love and trust she holds for you and your little girl will last for eternity. Oreo is a beautiful soul filled with “Unconditional Love. Don’t be surprised if your little girl feels the touch of her fur baby when she least expects it.
    Sending Warm Hugs & Furry Thoughts
    Much Understanding and Love!
    Animallover~Jan

11. Jean Burkhardt Says:
    August 2nd, 2016 at 8:37 am

I am so very sorry for your loss of sweet Oreo. Guinea pigs are such wonderful creatures-so loving. Almost 45 years ago we adopted a GP and her name was Nightmare(sorry that’s what my kids named her)The day after we brought her home she had like 3 babies-so awesome. We found wonderful loving homes for them. When we take out the lettuce from the frige she would make that squeaky sound and we all loved her so much. I hope Oreo and Nightmare are playing at Rainbow Bridge together along with all the other beloved animals who resdie there.

12. Bob Pod Says:
    August 2nd, 2016 at 8:56 am

Doc,
    My heart goes out to you and yours for the lose of a loved friend, Oreo. We have been blessed by God to take care of his friends, to care for therm, protect them and to love them. When they depart we have grown with the knowledge that we have shared the love of a friend… They will be missed but their menory will always remain…
    Thank you for sharing this moment with all of us.
    Bob

13. Juno's mom Says:
    August 2nd, 2016 at 8:58 am

Facing having to let my oldest dog go this week and have been struggling with it for a while. She’s not suffering, but is tired and doesn’t want to stay here anymore. It’s hardest on those left behind. Not matter what species or how long they’ve lived, a soul crosses over and will meet us on the other side.

14. Yvonne Says:
    August 2nd, 2016 at 9:48 am

I am very sorry for your loss. They tug so much at our heartstrings. Thank you for sharing your beautiful tribute and you will see her again someday. I thank God for blessing me with his wonderful creatures. Take care!

15. Teena Says:
    August 2nd, 2016 at 10:04 am

I am so very sorry for your loss. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. I know how your heart must ache for dear little Oreo as many of my beloved little loves have crossed over. So I know how you feel. Thank you for sharing your tribute to Oreo, she is cute as a button. What a little love! I am so happy that in is this big, big, world that we all live in together that Oreo picked you to be her family. You must be honored. And I’m happy that she got to be in a home where she was loved and respected, and I’m happy too, that you had the pleasure of loving and respecting Oreo. God bless and take good care…R.I.P. Dear little Oreo. She has gone home

16. Dianne Says:
    August 2nd, 2016 at 11:03 am

So sorry for your loss of a guinea pig, even though I have never had one they are precious animals made by God for anyone to have and Love them and all animals. It is hard to lose a family member like Oreo as they are precious babies to anyone who owns one and do make lovely and wonderful pets. God Bless your whole family both people and pets and your families and your love show through pictures and videos you show. Oreo was lucky to have such a wonderful family to take care of her.

17. Pat Kavanaugh Says:
    August 2nd, 2016 at 11:18 am

My children had Guinea pig named squeakers who was so sweet and love able! I’m sorry about Oreo and I loved the tribute to her! ??

18. Maria Says:
    August 2nd, 2016 at 11:52 am

Dear Jones family,

Sorry for the loss of a dear family friend/member. Oreo was blessed to have been in your family as she looks like she had a fabulous life and she’ll bring out great memories to ye all as well as your other pets that have passed on. We miss them all.
    They bring us so much joy and give unconditional love, we’re blessed to have them in our lives too.
    In memory of a wonderful Guinea pig named Oreo.

Blessings to you all
    Maria (Ireland )

19. Kathy Says:
    August 2nd, 2016 at 12:09 pm

I’m sorry for your family’s loss of Oreo. She was a precious member of the family, as are the other members of the family. I believe the grief of an beloved animal is the same as that of a human family member who passes. ( I still grieve the loss of Candace, my sweet basset hound, who passed 3 months ago). Thank you for the reminder to take more photos/videos of the fur babies. Will definitely follow your advice in the future. Oreo will be waiting for you at the end of the bridge for a wonderous reunion.

20. Jennifer Says:
    August 2nd, 2016 at 12:16 pm

So sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your special pet Oreo’s photo’s/clips. Our animals unconditional love ….. the great joy they bring us ….. precious times with them, are most certainly to be treasured forever. Blessings to you all.

21. kelly backus Says:
    August 2nd, 2016 at 1:07 pm

My sincere sympathies are extended to you. Oreo looked like my Neil, many years ago. Oreo is beautiful. I say is, because she is still here, she only left her physical body. Up to 12 years of age! I have not heard of a pig living so long a life. I worked in veterinary medicine for 28 years and the average lifespan was 2-3 years. I bet she ate appropriate foods for her species. All my love, Kelly

22. moon Says:
    August 2nd, 2016 at 3:10 pm

They were nice pictures of Oreo and your daughter. I’m not familiar with GPS but they are chubby & cute. Oreo was a sweetie.

23. susan Says:
    August 2nd, 2016 at 4:49 pm

thank u so much for that touching video. i had to put down my black and white kitty chloe a few weeks ago and oreo reminded me of her. its amazing how pets unconditional love changes our hearts and lives, makes us laugh and comforts our troubled times. my thoughts are with your whole family during this time!

24. Georgianna Rogers Says:
    August 2nd, 2016 at 6:29 pm

Dr Jones I am so sorry to hear of the passing of your beloved Oreo…
    Thank you for sharing pics ..
    My condolences to you and your family!

25. Julia McLaren Says:
    August 3rd, 2016 at 12:54 am

So sorry about the passing of little Oreo. Thank you for giving her such a great life.

26. Carolyn Says:
    August 3rd, 2016 at 4:37 am

So sorry to hear about Oreo. There is nothing small about a GP. We had a Miss Piggy for 9 years and she gave us mountains of love. God gives us these little creatures and puts no limits as to how much we let them fill our hearts. She overflowed ours.

27. Jim Says:
    August 3rd, 2016 at 12:30 pm

I see your GP was a study buddy. I had one too but it was a parakeet that used to turn my pages for me. That is what your picture reminded me of sorry to hear about loosing your friend.

28. Kareen Says:
    August 3rd, 2016 at 4:59 pm

As animal lovers, we are so blessed to be given the opportunity to share our lives with our unique & very individual fur kids. In passing, they still continue to journey with us in memory & spirit. Almost tangible at times. So sorry for your loss. May God be with you.
    Teared up as I write this.

29. maria gregory Says:
    August 3rd, 2016 at 5:25 pm

So sorry for your loss. Oreo was a beautiful little creature. Was lucky to be loved. So sweet. RIP little baby

30. Joan Says:
    August 4th, 2016 at 7:01 am

Sorry for your loss 🙁 Me and my yorkie male, Budapi, will keep you in our prayers. You’ll see them ALL in Heaven! What a day of rejoicing that will be!!

31. Alice Duffy Says:
    August 5th, 2016 at 8:16 am

Your Veterinary Secrets book is my bible. I turn to it first as soon as one of my dogs needs help. I also look forward to your email s so much. You have taught me an awful lot about veterinary care. Thanks Doc. Best Wishes fae Bonnie Scotland. X

32. Marja Says:
    August 5th, 2016 at 3:35 pm

Being a cat person and not having read much about guinea pigs, I had no idea they enjoyed being so close with people. I always thought they lived in their little cages and got taken out and pet once in a while.

Thanks for showing me what dear, affectionate pets they can be! I know you will all have good memories of her and am so glad she found a loving home with your family.

Thanks also for reminding us to take video of our pets. I regret not having done it for my dear Emma, though I have some great pictures of my beautiful cat. I’ll take some videos of my cats at mealtime, when they are the most vocal.

Wish I’d gotten a video of Emma mewing, asking politely for some Romaine lettuce. Sweetest cat ever. They’re all different personalities and we need to remember them!

I also find it useful and healing to journal about pets after they die, remembering their little quirks, habits and lovable behaviors. And some of their behaviors that are irritating — but we love our four-paw kids anyway!

Comments