By Dr. Andrew Jones
The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), and the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) have started a petition which to date has received over 15,000 signatures. The number needed to ensure a response from the White House and the President is 5000- meaning there will be an official response.
Why the outrage and support?
It’s because puppy mills are completely unethical, and it’s time they were stopped. It’s ALL about profit OVER the health and well being of these dogs.
Most pet owners want these large, commercial breeders, who sell puppies through pet stores and online to be stopped.
In many cases the puppy mills are completely unhygenic; the dogs are overcrowded, and not cared for properly. Often there is inadequate food, water, and little to no veterinary care.
These pups get little to no human contact- this is a business, and it’s about profit, not care.
On top of that there is a host of genetic, and infectious disease, that are found with puppy mill puppies.
Here are just a few:
Seizure disorders ( epilepsy), organ dysfunction, Hip dyplasia, eye disorders, congenital blood disorders, thyroid disease, diabetes, knee conditions, infectious disease, parvovirus, kennel cough, distemper virus, excessive internal and external parasite ( ie fleas, lice, mange, hookworms).
So here is how you can help.
1. Don’t support puppy mills by even considering a puppy mill puppy.
2. If you are to acquire a puppy don’t be shopping from a pet store, or from questionable online ‘breeders’.
3. Go to an Animal Shelter- mixed breed pets are wonderful, and they are in need of loving homes.
4. You can always adopt an older pet- yes the puppies are cuter, but often the older pets are already trained, and they can be wonderful once they become part of a loving family.
5. If you are a resident of the U.S. you can sign the petition here:
Dr Andrew Jones, DVM
Sign up here for Free Updates (and get my FREE e-book, Videos and newsletter):
To post a comment, click the 'Comments' link below: