[ Close Bar ]  
FREE BOOK: "Top 10 Ways to Save Money at the Veterinarian":   Email: 
 

« | Home | »

The deadly green fluid…

By Dr. Andrew Jones

From: Dr Andrew Jones
Author: Veterinary Secrets Revealed
Website: http://www.veterinarysecretsrevealed.com

Re: The deadly green fluid…

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Good morning fellow readers.

Antifreeze..

With the onset of winter, the risk of antifreeze poisoning rises.

Recently a local politician had his cat die..he is calling for a ban on conventional antifreeze.

There is Non-Toxic antifreeze available, yet it is still difficult to find.

The brand is called Sierra.

Antifreeze poisoning is one of the most common and deadly toxicity seen in dogs and cats.

The toxic ingredient in antifreeze is ethylene glycol, ingestion of less than 2 ounces is potentially fatal for a 25 pound dog.

A cat only needs to lick 1/4 of an ounce.

Dogs and Cats are attracted to antifreeze spills by its sweet smell and taste.

When an animal swallows antifreeze, the ethylene glycol is rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream from the stomach.

After absorption, the ethylene glycol is changed into several other chemicals by an enzyme in the liver.

The substances produced by the liver’s metabolism of ethylene glycol are highly toxic to the animal’s kidneys, and can result in the death of kidney cells. If a high enough dose of ethylene glycol is consumed, fatal and irreversible kidney failure results.

SIGNS

Signs of antifreeze poisoning are neurologic in nature resulting from the direct effects of the ethylene glycol.

Affected pets may be lethargic, uncoordinated, and vomiting.

Owners often describe their pet as “acting drunk.”

These signs generally resolve within 12 hours after ingestion of the antifreeze, and the animal may have appeared to “recovered.” Signs of renal failure develop 24 to 48 hours after ingestion.

The pet will become very depressed, possibly even comatose. Seizures and vomiting may be seen.

TREATMENT

Treatment of antifreeze poisoning involves supporting kidney function with fluid therapy and administering medications that reduce the metabolism of ethylene glycol by the liver.

The key to successful treatment is early recognition.

Treatment must begin in the first few hours after the pet consumes the antifreeze in order to prevent the irreversible kidney failure from developing.

Unfortunately, most pets with antifreeze poisoning are not taken to a veterinarian until they have been “sick for a day or two.”

At that point, treatment may be unsuccessful.

It is essential to take your dog or cat to the veterinarian if you believe there is even a chance that he may have consumed antifreeze.

Don’t wait until he begins to act ill!

PREVENTION..

The bottom line with antifreeze poisoning is prevention.

When changing the coolant in your vehicle, clean up all antifreeze spills immediately.

Be sure the antifreeze container is securely closed and out of reach.

Address a leaking radiator immediately, before it causes the tragic death of a family pet.

Sierra is a relatively non-toxic antifreeze that contains propylene glycol rather than ethylene glycol.

Consider using this type of antifreeze if your pets have access to the areas where vehicles are stored.

Antifreeze may also be found in snow globes (the glass balls with water, snow and scenes inside).

Take extra care in making sure snow globes do not break where your pet has access to lick or consume the material found inside.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////

P.S. My best selling book has been flying of the e-shelf lately..

Thank You all for your desrire to be able to heal your pet at home.

You can get a copy at..http://www.veterinarysecretsrevealed.com

It’s Your Pet- Heal Them At Home!

Best Wishes

Dr Andrew Jones

PRIVACY POLICY: We will never rent, sell, loan, provide, barter, exchange or in any way make available your personal information to others. You can unsubscribe or change your email address at any time using the links at the bottom of this email.

Copyright 2006 Veterinary Secrets Revealed

Tel: 1-800-396-1534
Fax: 1-250-352-1901

http://www.veterinarysecretsrevealed.com
support@veterinarysecretsrevealed.com

Be Sociable, Share!

STAY INFORMED

Sign up here for Free Updates (and get my free e-book "Top 10 Ways to Save Money at the Veterinarian"):

To post a comment, click the 'Comments' link below:

Topics: Pet health | No Comments »

Comments



Dr. Andrew Jones, DVM
Help your pet and learn how to save money at the Veterinarian today
Get my Free eBook and Newsletter:

Dr. Andrew Jones' Top 10 Ways to Save Money at the Veterinarian
Enter your email and click the button below - and quickly learn simple ways to heal your pets at home and save money today:


I hate spam as much as you do - your information is 100% safe and will NOT be shared with anyone else. You can unsubscribe from my newsletter at any time.
[Close Box]