FREE BOOK: "Dog and Cat Health Secrets":   Name:  Email:

The TRUTH about Vitamin C in Dogs and Cats

From: Dr Andrew Jones
Author: Veterinary Secrets Revealed
Website: http://www.veterinarysecretsrevealed.com

Re: What is the TRUTH about Vitamin C?

//////////////////////////////////////////////

Good morning all.

A few readers commented on one of the articles I published last week
on Vitamin C as a supplement.

They had been told that Dogs and Cats DON’T need additional Vitamin
C or that the Vitamin C was harming their pet..

So what is the deal with Vitamin C???

Vitamin C is the body’s primary water-soluble antioxidant, which makes
it an important weapon in the immune system’s arsenal against bacteria
and viruses. It also helps protect unsaturated fatty acids, and the fat-
soluble vitamins A and E from being oxidized, therefore protecting their
potency. Since your pet can’t manufacture it, vitamin C must be obtained
through diet and supplementation.

A protective vitamin essential to over-all body health, vitamin C is
especially important for neutralizing free radicals.  It also:

Helps in the production of collagen, and maintaining healthy skin
Promotes the healing of wounds, scar tissue, fractures
Strengthens  blood vessels
Helps the body utilize iron and folic acid
Supports the thymus gland
Enhances T-cell production, increasing resistance to viral and
bacterial infections, and some allergies

BUT..In a few select diseases, you SHOULDN’T use Vitamin C
Most of the time, and for most pets, it is a GREAT supplement.

In fact my dog Lewis gets a combination supplement that
includes Vitamin C.

The one SPECIFIC case you shouldn’t use it is for
Calcium Oxalate Stones in dogs and cats.

These are an UNUSUAL type of crystal, which form
in acidic urine. If your pet is to ever have
oxalate stones, then you want to employ other
methods of healing.

I have written about these in my book,

But I feel that it is important that you are
ALL clear about this condition, and EXACTLY what you
should do if it happens.

Here are my TOP SOLUTIONS:
DIET

Prevention centers on creating a urinary environment with minimal
calcium and minimal oxalate as well as creating a urine pH that
is not conducive to calcium oxalate formation.

What to eat..

High Quality but Low Protein diet, as High Protein produces elevated
levels of oxalates.

There are specifically formulated veterinaru diets..I have one
in my clinic for dogs which is Vegetarian..IN this case ONLY I
advise using that diet.

What to Avoid..

OXALATES

Vegetables ~ beets, eggplant, leeks, sweet potatoes, okra, pepper
Greens ~ green beans or peppers, beets, celery, collards, eggplant,
parsley, spinach, Swiss chard, chives, endive, kale, leeks, okra,
rutagbega, summer squash, sweet potatoes, tomatoes
Legumes ~ beans, soy products including tofu
Grains ~ wheat germ
Nuts ~ all
Seeds ~ sesame and tahini
Fruit ~ berries, currants, concord grapes, figs, rhubarb, lemon,
lime, plums, tangerines.
WATER

Water intake is the most important factor in preventing kidney stones.
The additional fluid flushes the bladder,
and doesn’t allow these stones to form.
POTASSIUM CITRATE

By taking potassium citrate orally, citrate levels increase in the urine.
Calcium binds to citrate instead of to oxalate which is a desirable
event since calcium citrate tends to stay dissolved whereas calcium
oxalate tends to precipitate out as mineral deposit. Potassium citrate
also helps create an alkaline urine (in which calcium oxalate stones
have difficulty forming). Potassium citrate supplements are typically
given twice a day.l

//////////////////////////////////////////////

P.S. My children are already getting dressed up
for Halloween…And You’ll be oh pleasantly
FRIGHTENED with what I’m going to be REVEALING..

P.P.S. If you have specific topics you want me
to discuss, please send me off and email and I’ll
do my best to address it. I do appreciate your input
and that’s how I can make my newsletter even more
helpful to you and your pets.
It’s Your Pet. Heal Them At Home!

Dr Andrew Jones, DVM

PRIVACY POLICY: We will never rent, sell, loan, provide, barter,
exchange or in any way make available your personal information to
others. You can unsubscribe or change your email address at any
time using the links at the bottom of this email.

Copyright 2007 Four Paws Online Ltd.

Tel: 1-800-396-1534
Fax: 1-250-352-1901

support@veterinarysecretsrevealed.com

• The TRUTH about Vitamin C in Dogs and Cats
  • The TRUTH about Vitamin C in Dogs and Cats

Sign up here for Free Updates (and get my FREE e-book, Videos and newsletter):

Topics: Pet health | 9 Comments »

9 Responses to “The TRUTH about Vitamin C in Dogs and Cats”

1. Ramesh Says:
    April 6th, 2008 at 12:12 am

My Dachshund Toffee ,now weighing about 11 Kg, had earlier suffered spinal bone strain and had started to drag his rear legs and was unable to walk.I put him on 500mg vitamin C tablet daily over the past two years,and also got him to reduce his weightfrom 13 kg to 11kg.He started to walk after a month of his relapse and has been walking normally since then.
    The question is:Should I stop the vitamin C tablet due to possibility of oxalates forming in his urine ??

2. Dr. M Says:
    March 13th, 2009 at 9:39 pm

Dogs CAN synthesize their own Vitamin C, that has been widely established. Vitamin is an essential vitamin (must be provided from an outside source) for primates, guinea pigs and a few fish. Dogs do not fall under any of these categories and can easily synthesize their own Vitamin C for their needs.

Excessive Vitamin C (i.e. supplements) can lead to kidney stones in dogs.

3. Ishi Says:
    July 7th, 2009 at 6:19 am

Hello Doc. I found your article quite helpful. Though I have one question. You said that vit c can lead to kidney stones in dogs. My dog has renal failure and he has been put with a special diet already. I’ve been giving him vit c for the last few days because he just got out of the vet after I saw puddles of blood that came from his butt. He looks like he’s been having a hard time pooping lately, I can just imagine there are still wounds in his intestines from the bleeding. The difference is that I’ve been giving him Fern C vitamin C. It’s alkaline based so it’s not acidic. I was wondering if this will only worsen my dog’s kidney. But I thought maybe it was okay to give him fern c since it’s not acidic and won’t give him kidney stone. Thank you in advance.

4. Patty Says:
    October 26th, 2009 at 6:07 am

My new kittens have terrible colds. I have been putting ointment in their eyes daily. I think it is called something close to Genocin. They are better but still sneezing and have weepy eyes. Can I break up one of my Vit capsules (1,000 mg) and give it to them in food? Is this harmful? Thanks so much, Patty

5. Rebecca Gwynn Says:
    December 26th, 2009 at 6:22 pm

My 14 year old, neuter male, has a cold. He has always been sneezer, but his right eye looks like he has a cold in it. Is it okay if I crush up a vitamin c tablet in his food. I will take him to the vet this coming week, but wanted to know if this would possibly help him in the meantime. Any help you could offer will be much appreciated.

6. katie Says:
    November 7th, 2011 at 5:40 pm

I’m not too keen on the fact that you’re promoting yourself through the selling of veterinary secrets. I prefer when professionals remain professionals, rather than taking the cheesy fad book route.

People need to know that there are no easy and magical answers. Often veterinary care is overlooked due to cost, however, these are the costs of owning a pet. I recommend that your readers save the money from the possible purchase of your book and instead begin a savings account for their pet.

7. katie Says:
    November 7th, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Perhaps you would consider posting some comments that weren’t bubbling about your book?

8. bettina cirone Says:
    April 14th, 2012 at 8:03 pm

my cat does have kidney problems. so maybe c is not good for him. he drinks lots of water and urinates frequently. he had hyper thyroid and was losing so much weight that to save his life in 2008 i brought him for radioactive iodine injection after which he became quite fat. his ekg afterwards showed cardiomyopathy but hecompenatedwell. he got pemphigus and steroid helped him get rid of it. When pemphigus returned, i brought him to 3 different vets who refused to give him even minimal amount of steroid protection/ pemphigud kept spreading, but they still refused. when lymphoma in cranium was discovered oncologist prescribed steroid. everything healed. he was great. back to normal for 2 months. when i was advised to cut steroid dose to half per day, he had relapse. after relapse he recovered pretty well. But after the last chemo on Friday he got worse again. i don’t know what to do. he is due for another chemo next Friday. maybe i should just leave him be. i don’t want to hurt him anymore. i think the first misrake was perhaps an overdose of radioactive iodine brought all this on. he is only 13 yrs old.

9. brad Says:
    April 21st, 2012 at 8:41 am

WHILST PEOPLE ARE ENTITLED TO THEIR OPINION I HAVE FOUND ANDREW INFORMATIVE AND VERY HELPFUL AS MOST VETS ARE SO READY TO PEDDLE DRUGS WHICH CAN HAVE A DETRIMENTAL EFFECT ON PETS AND ONES BUDGET, AND YET LEAVES ONE LESS INFORMED.

KATIE GIVE THE GUY A BREAK, EVERYONE HAS TO EARN A LIVING AND SO WHAT IF ANDREW PROMOTES HIS BOOK HOW ELSE WOULD HE SURVIVE OR SUPPORT HIS FAMILY.
    PEOPLE HAVE A CHOICE AND NO ONE IS HOLDING A GUN TO PEOPLES HEAD TO BUY THE BOOK.

MOST PEOPLE WHO VIEW THIS SITE WILL STRONGLY DISAGREE WITH YOUR COMMENTS AND MIGHT QUESTION YOUR MOTIVES FOR WRITING SUCH NEGATIVE COMMENTS.
    KATIE HAVE YOU NOT THOUGHT PEOPLE ON VERY TIGHT BUDGETS MAY NOT HAVE THE RESOURCES TO VISIT A VET AND RELY ON FREE ADVICE. ULTIMATELY ITS ABOUT THE QUALITY OF HEALTHCARE FOR THE PET AND IF IT WORKS THEN ITS PERSONAL CHOICE. WELL DONE ANDREW AND KEEP WRITING

Comments

Get my FREE book and 3 FREE Pet Health Videos
Free Videos

Pet Vaccines, Pet Food,
Pet Medication Side Effects
FREE 70 Page Book

Dog and Cat Health Secrets
Fill Out This Form

Fill out the form below and click the button to receive your book and Videos now. Learn simple ways to heal your pets at home - FREE!