By Dr. Andrew Jones
Some scientists, and government regulators are proposing regulations such as taxing all foods and drinks that include added sugar, banning sales in or near schools and placing age limits on purchases.
Sugar in Dog And Cat Food
Over the past five years, sugar has increasingly been added to some popular brands of dog and cat treats to make them more palatable and profitable, according to veterinarian Dr. Ernie Ward.
“Dogs, like humans, have a sweet tooth, and manufacturers know this,” says Dr. Ward, founder of the Association for Pet Obesity Prevention (APOP). “If a dog gobbles a treat quickly, an owner is more likely to give another, and another.”
Why ALL the fuss?
In the United States, more than two-thirds of the population is overweight, and half of them are obese. About 80 percent of those who are obese will have diabetes or metabolic disorders and will have shortened lives, according to the UCSF authors of the commentary, led by Robert Lustig. And about 75 percent of U.S. health-care dollars are spent on diet-related diseases, the authors said.
According to Dr Mercola from mercola.com:
In 2009, more than 50 percent of all Americans consume one-half pound of sugar PER DAY—translating to a whopping 180 pounds of sugar per year!
Sugar is loaded into your soft drinks, fruit juices, sports drinks, and hidden in almost all processed foods—from bologna to pretzels to Worcestershire sauce to cheese spread. And now most infant formula has the sugar equivalent of one can of Coca-Cola, so babies are being metabolically poisoned from day one if taking formula.
10 Serious Health Consequences of Sugar
1. Obesity- ALL of those calories
2. Diabetes- Sugar can cause a decrease in your insulin sensitivity thereby causing an abnormally high insulin levels and eventually diabetes
3. Arthritis- degenerative, secondary to weight gain
4. Sugar can suppress your immune system and impair your defenses against infectious disease
5. Sugar can weaken eyesight
6. Sugar can cause many problems with the gastrointestinal tract including: an acidic digestive tract, indigestion, malabsorption in patients with functional bowel disease, increased risk of Crohn’s disease, and ulcerative colitis
7. Sugar can cause premature aging. In fact, the single most important factor that accelerates aging is insulin, which is triggered by sugar
8. Sugar can cause your saliva to become acidic, tooth decay, and periodontal disease
9. Sugar can cause autoimmune diseases such as: arthritis, asthma, and multiple sclerosis
10. Sugar can cause depression
Clearly we can ALL benefit from decreasing sugar in our own, and our pet’s diets.
P.S. Your pets often find the ‘food’ or ‘treat’ tastier with sugar..It’s no different with us…
If it tastes ‘good’ then they are likely to eat it again
SO you will keep on buying it
My suggestions are to read the labels, looking for words such as fructose, corn syrup etc…
AVOID these foods and treats
Feed something ‘real’ instead.
My dogs and cats LOVE dehydrated liver..and NO sugar
My supplements taste great, and with NO sugar
You can get a trial bottle for 50% OFF.
Heal Your Pets At Home!
Dr Andrew Jones
Sign up here for Free Updates (and get my free e-book "Top 10 Ways to Save Money at the Veterinarian"):
To post a comment, click the 'Comments' link below: