Bee Pollen: A Super Nutrient For 5 Pet Problems

bee

Bee Pollen is the food of the young honey bee. It is very nutrient dense containing: all essential amino acids ( 40% protein), over 20 minerals ( calcium, magnesium and iron), over 10 vitamins vitamins (B, C, E and D), enzymes and 14 beneficial fatty acids.

There are a number of health claims, and many of these are now being backed by science. All these antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and other components are working together to help the heart, skin, immune system and fight cancer.

Here are some specific benefits

Heart and Lungs: Bee pollen contains large concentrations of rutin, a bioflavonoid that is known to help blood vessels, circulation, protect the heart, and decrese the chance of stroke.

Weight Loss/Energy. It is high in protein, and increasingly used by those in the gym to increase muscle mass, increase energy, potentially increasing metabolism and helping with weight loss.

Allergies/Skin Disease. This is the condition that it is getting the most recognition about. It is thought that topically applied it stimulates new skin tissue growth; great for injuries. People are finding it helpful for aging skin. In animals I believe the biggest benefits is orally. Pollen reduces the presence of histamine, decreasing symptoms. Dr. Leo Conway, M.D of Denver Colorado, reported that 94 percent of his patients were completely free from allergy symptoms once treated with oral feeding of pollen.

Immune Support. There are many nutrients in the pollen which can help boost the immune system. Dr Mercola of mercola.com claims that bee pollen has antibiotic-type properties that can help protect the body from contracting viruses. It’s also rich in antioxidants that protect the cells from the damaging oxidation of free radicals.

Gastrointestinal System – Bee pollen contains multiple enzymes which are believed to help in digestion. The enzymes help your pet break down the food properly, so they can get all the nutrients from the food.

Doses: these vary, 1 tablespoon per 100 lbs for dogs. Start with a very small dose and work up from there over a couple of weeks.

Heal Your Pet At Home!

Dr Andrew Jones, DVM

Topics: Cat Health, Dog Health, Pet health | 11 Comments »

11 Responses to “Bee Pollen: A Super Nutrient For 5 Pet Problems”

1. Tom Says:
    January 20th, 2014 at 8:16 am

Might bee a dumb question, but is bee pollen the same as honey ?? Thanks, Tom

2. Jonathan Says:
    January 20th, 2014 at 9:39 am

Hi Tom

Pure organic honey will have some pollen pieces in it, but there is a difference between the two. See more info here:

3. Dr. Andrew Jones Says:
    January 22nd, 2014 at 9:30 am

Hi Tom,

First there are no dumb questions.

In a beehive, both bee pollen and honey are used as food.

Bee Pollen

When honey bees gather nectar from flowers they gather pollen along with it. They bring that pollen, now known as bee pollen, back to the hive to use as a source of nourishment. bee pollen has more protein while raw honey has more antioxidants.

The pollen has less sugar/carbohydrates.

4. Cam Says:
    January 20th, 2014 at 3:57 pm

I’ve given my skunks Bee Pollen for years, take it myself as well. I just recently got a dog in a rescue situation. He is in his new forever home now. I will start giving him the bee pollen as well. He’s a big Standard Poodle and gets along with the skunks very well. Life is good.

5. Lucienne Says:
    January 20th, 2014 at 4:29 pm

Hi!
    Years ago I took a lot of bee pollen and it made me very peppy! This article reminded me that I just saw raw bee pollen in a market, and will take some again! My elderly dog might benefit as well.

6. Leslie Says:
    January 20th, 2014 at 8:36 pm

Just wondering if there was a way to know if your dog could be allergic to bees which would determine whether to give the bee pollen? My dog is also about 5.5 lbs, so what would be suggested as a dose and in what form? granules?

7. Dr. Andrew Jones Says:
    January 22nd, 2014 at 9:26 am

The pollen is not related to bee sting reactions. Dose 1/4 teaspoon daily of the granules.

8. Bee True Products Says:
    January 21st, 2014 at 7:16 am

We have created a special gourmet blend of bee pollen just for dogs!
    We suggest to start with 2-3 granules and slowly give up to 1/4 tsp. a day

Visit our website and order your Pooch Pollen today!
    We also have human gourmet bee pollen blends too

Blythe Weston
    Owner/Founder
    Bee True Products

9. Linda Says:
    November 30th, 2014 at 4:32 pm

I’ve seen a lot about bee pollen for dogs but nothing for cats. My cat has terrible allergies. The vet gives her antibiotics once in a while. I’ve asked for other remedies but they have none. I’d love to try the bee pollen if it’s OK for cats. It would be wonderful to be able to help her.

10. Larry Says:
    March 26th, 2017 at 6:36 pm

Please ignore my last post. I have a 14 year old Chihuahua who suffers badly from allergies, a friend of mine knows a bee keeper and he brought me bee pollen granules,and said my dog’s allergies would clear up if I gave him some daily. I’m nervous to give it to my dog but hate seeing him suffer. He weighs just under 10lbs,I have no idea how I give it to him or how much and how often? Any advice would be helpful. Thank You.

11. Larry Says:
    March 26th, 2017 at 6:38 pm

I hope someone can answer my last comment, my dogs allergies are bad

Comments