By Dr. Andrew Jones
From: Dr Andrew Jones
Author: Veterinary Secrets Revealed
Re: Advil is safe for your dog?
Happy Friday all!
I had a very interesting conversation with someone on the plane.
His dog, Max, ate 50 -200mg Advil tablets.
Only 2 of those could be toxic.
Advil is an NSAID or non steroidal anti-INFLAMMATORY WHICH PRODUCES dramatic drops in blood pressure, resulting in kidney damage, PLUS Severe stomach and intestinal damage.
Max had both of these problems- Kidney Damage and Stomach Ulceration.
He is now recovering after 7 days of treatment and a 6000 dollar bill, but he will always have some degree of kidney disease.
Max’s guardian told me that it took him over 2 hours to see the emergency veterinarian, and in that time most of the damage was done.
He was told NOT to do anything.
So what can you take from this?
FIRST: Keep ALL medications safely AWAY from your pets
SECOND: Know what to do IF they swallow any.
Here is what you should KNOW:
TO YOUR VETERINARIAN. If your pet is showing signs of ingesting a poison, it is important that she is examined by your veterinarian and treated appropriately. Some toxins can progress and lead to severe seizures. If you suspect Antifreeze poisoning, it must be treated within 4-6 hours, before irreversible kidney damage is done.
PURGE THE POISON. In most cases of poisoning, getting your pet to vomit is the most important thing that you can do.
To induce vomiting, give hydrogen peroxide at 1 teaspoon per 10 lbs of body weight. If your pet doesn’t vomit in 10 minutes, repeat again. NEVER do more than 2 treatments of peroxide. You can also try salt: dilute 1 teaspoon of salt in a tablespoon of water per every 10lbs of body weight.
DELAY ABSORPTION. Activated charcoal is readily available at most pharmacies. It delays absorption of any toxin by binding to the toxic compound in the stomach. The easiest way is to give the capsule form. For those garbage-eating dogs (such as my own dog) it is a good idea to have hydrogen peroxide and activated charcoal always on hand.
P.S. Max was fortunate to even recover from this, but IF his guardian had been aware of exactly what to do, he could have induced vomiting IMMEDIATELY and avoided the kidney damage.
And an even better thing is to get rid off these toxic drugs, and try some safer, alternate herbs and homeopathics.
To get a great overview on ALL of the ALTERNATE options that you can use for pain control, I suggest a read of my best selling digital book.
You can get it now, PLUS 3 Bonuses, try it risk free for 60 days, and keep the bonuses if you’d like.
It’s your pet. Heal them at home!
Dr Andrew Jones, DVM
Sign up here for Free Updates (and get my free e-book "Top 10 Ways to Save Money at the Veterinarian"):
To post a comment, click the 'Comments' link below: