Is OraVet Safe? Natural Remedies for Dental Care in Dogs and Cats

Hello to you fellow blog readers.

For those who aren’t aware, I jumped a bit too large cliff, aiming for the pillow of snow at the base of the tree, only to have my face slam into the tree.

Fortunately no concussion or fractures, but nasty wound and bruised ego.. The ER doc did a great job of suturing me up-

Here is the immediate post surgery pic.

day 1

Here is the wound 11 days later.

I am applying concentrated Vitamin E oil 3 times daily to potentially speed up healing and decrease scar formation.

day 10
Is OraVet Safe?

February is Dental Health Month, and many of you have likely heard about the variety of new dental products for dogs and cats.

Clearly teeth brushing is a simple, safe and advised remedy but…

——————————————
Only 2% brush teeth
——————————————

Most pet owners KNOW the importance of oral healthcare in their dogs and cats.

But studies show that pet owners are not following up with proper oral care at home.

In fact, data indicates that only 2% of owners brush their pets’ teeth with the frequency required to maintain proper oral health.

oravet_gel

——————
OraVet
—————–

Based on this data, the well meaning massive drug company Merial has developed a new dental product called ‘OraVet’

Not surprisingly it is backed by a teeny study…

Evaluation of a Barrier Dental Sealant in Dogs

A study of 40 healthy, randomly selected, client-owned, mixed- and pure-breed dogs with dental plaque, calculus or gingivitis assessed the efficacy of a barrier dental sealant.

Which then lets them say this:

OraVet has been shown in well-controlled studies to significantly reduce the formation of plaque and calculus.

But is it safe?

Well according to their FAQ page, it is completely safe..

Here is what it is on their veterinary information page:

The sealant is a biologically inert, patented polymer that electrostatically adheres to tooth enamel. Once applied, it creates an invisible barrier that has been clinically proven to significantly reduce the formation of plaque and calculus.

Some unknown and un-named patented chemical..

My suggestions would be to not put this in your dog or cat’s mouth every day.

Natural Options

Do something natural..

Natural Diets. Raw meaty bones and windpipes from cows or pigs can help keep teeth clean. If your dog splinters and swallows large pieces of bone, he is at risk of obstruction, so do not give him bones. Some dogs love chicken necks. To rule out the risk of Salmonella (a bacterial infection), put the bones or windpipes in boiling water for 30 seconds first.

Healthy Treats. Raw vegetables, such as carrots are a great, low calorie treat that can help clean the teeth. If your dog likes them, then feed away.

Brush. The best way to keep your pet’s teeth clean is by brushing. Ideally this should be done daily, but twice a week is a good goal. Begin by rubbing your finger around your pet’s mouth. Flavor it with tuna to make it enticing for your dog. A finger toothbrush can be used (it fits around the end of your finger). Use pet toothpaste, for if swallowed it will not upset your pet’s stomach. Baking soda is another safe natural toothpaste. The electric toothbrushes are very effective and the long neck helps you get to the back premolars.

Vitamin C is used by many alternative practitioners for dental disease. It is an immune stimulant and helps the production of normal gum and teeth tissue. The starting cat dose is 100 mg daily. The starting dog dose is 100 mg per 10 lbs daily. If your pet gets diarrhea, lower the dose.

Plaque Off. This is a completely natural product which is suitable for dogs. It is a special type of seaweed which has been found to have specific beneficial effects for oral care. It comes in a granulated form which is easily added to food every day. It is rich in natural iodine and contains important vitamins and minerals and is free from artificial colors, preservatives, gluten and sugar

Heal Your Pet At Home!

Dr Andrew Jones, DVM

P.S. Dental Care is seen as crucial in increasing veterinary clinic revenue. It’s seen as a high value item that can dramatically add to the bottom line.

Not surprising that the big drug companies are there to ‘help’

Professional dental care definitely has its place. If your pet has moderate periodontal disease, then they need a proper dental.

But at topical chemical daily to prevent plaque?

This may have long term consequences.

There are many other things that you CAN do at home.

One that are safe, natural and effective.

My Free Video goes over MANY Of these options:

Topics: Cat Health, Pet health | 24 Comments »

24 Responses to “Is OraVet Safe? Natural Remedies for Dental Care in Dogs and Cats”

1. Jean Makris Says:
    July 28th, 2016 at 9:42 am

Is there an effect of Oravet in the gut? What were the side effects reported in the study?

2. Renee H Says:
    August 17th, 2016 at 8:35 am

You gave options for dogs. Any natural options for cats? My cats have that absorption problem not really a cavity problem so why apply anything?

3. Ligia Says:
    September 16th, 2016 at 9:28 pm

The picture looks like a big accident, sorry,about it, I am sure you are feeling much better ….

4. Suzee Says:
    November 1st, 2016 at 10:31 pm

im not finding any side effect information for Oravet dental chews. I have cut back to about 2 small chews each week for my Papillion. He started throwing up some of his food about 2-3 hours after eating. He had last check up in June 2016 and received a report of all within normal limits on all of his lab work. He is over 10 years old and has had no health issues until this. We started Oravet dental chews in June, cut back to one half chew about 2-3 weeks after beginning. Then we went to one whole chew every other day and now we are giving 2x week. His teeth have shown significant improvement. His breath is good but I am concerned about this throwing up. He eats Science Diet KD as a preventative for kidney disease. I worry the Oravet dental chews might be the culprit. I can’t find any info on side effects probably because none have been reported

5. Sandy walker Says:
    November 5th, 2016 at 5:55 am

One of my chi’s was sent home with these chews after his dental. I gave him one a few days later and he wouldn’t touch it. So I gave my other 2 dogs one and they didn’t care for it either but they have food allergies so I started looking everywhere for the list of ingredients. I am highly suspicious when I can’t find actual studies or lists of ingredients as well as side effects.
    I won’t be using these and will go with your suggestions instead. Thanks.

6. Angie Says:
    November 18th, 2016 at 11:13 am

I see several makers of a Plaque Off Product is there a supplier that is actually the best?

7. Maree Says:
    November 21st, 2016 at 4:26 pm

Are Oravet Dental Chews the same as what the Yanks call Greenies? I have read personal experience negative reviews as well as on line negative reports about Greenies. My dog has only just recovered from several surgeries, and I do not think she could handle another if the chew got caught in her intestines.

8. Steve Says:
    December 27th, 2016 at 11:27 am

My Vet gave some samples. Dog ate one. Next morning whining and giant lose stool. Tried to poo more immediately but nothing came out. Has eaten, has passed some more stool and is not loose, but still throwing up about twice a day for two days and it is clear/transparent. Will see soon how his stool is. Might have to go back to the Vet. Going to brush his teeth myself. Do not trust crap being pushed by vets anymore.

9. Sandy Says:
    January 15th, 2017 at 12:37 pm

I bought my little Min Pin these in extra small and for my Min Pin/Dash mix the Small, because they go by their weight. I gave them each one Friday the 13th of Jan, had to bring my Min Pin mix to Vets with bloody Diarreha and throwing up, Vet said it looks like from something he ate, anything new, Just the OraVet was new, he got treated but is still having diarrhea and it is now Sunday and my other little Min Pin started with green diarrhea and vomited in her crate last night and has the loose stool still and at times when taken out, tried to go but couldn’t after having the diarrhea first. They will have to go to the vet tomorrow, costing me more money. I would advice not giving these to your dogs until there is better information on them. I bought from my Dad’s Vet while his dog was being see , figured they were safe. My Dogs were not sick until after they ate these, they had one a day for 2 days, but no more for these, cleaning all this diarrhea up is disgusting not to mention my poor dogs don’t feel well. These chews can be dangerous for some dogs especially toy and small breeds. Talk to your vet first tell him about the reviews against this product.

10. Deyanira Robles Says:
    January 23rd, 2017 at 12:22 pm

January 23,20017 I start giving ORA VET chews to my 5 years old miniature toy chihuahua (2 pounds, 5 ounces weight), just half chew for two days and the 2nd day she had like a TOXIC REACTION: extremely runny nose and lot of saliva coming out from her mouth causing her to not breathe well. I rush to take her to the PET 911 hospital at midnight and the Vet start giving her a treatment for intoxicated dog. My chihuahua was not sick until after she ate these 2 ORA VET CHEWS, I’m positive it was the ORA VET chew! I do not recommend ORA VET at all!

11. Dana Says:
    January 30th, 2017 at 7:29 pm

I have three older dogs (9, 13 and 14) and got the OraVet chews from my Vet. The 13 yr old experienced diarrhea on and off for 2 weeks, after just one chew. Treated with Pepto and Metronidazole. This was about 6 wks ago. Her water consumption has steadily increased, and last week she started having accidents in the house, and then in her crate. Today she was diagnosed as diabetic. I have to believe there is a correlation.

12. Angela Says:
    February 19th, 2017 at 8:09 am

I have an older small Jack Russell at just 13#. I was given the Larger after dental cleaning also. Mickie loves them. But noticed diarrhea after a week. She was also started on another med at same time. So after starting and stopping both meds separately, I decided it was the Leader chews. Diarrhea has not reoccurred since stopping. Seems after reading above small dogs are most effected.

13. Robin Says:
    February 22nd, 2017 at 4:12 pm

Do not give these to your dog! I gave my Pom one and he was up all night drinking water like crazy. Noticed he could not urinate and when he walked his belly sounded like a tight balloon with water sloshing inside and was super bloated. Took him to the vet first thing in the AM and after an X-ray he sent us for an urgent MRI. For whatever reason his intestines would not process the water he drank. Fortunately after a few hours he started urinating A LOT! $1,500.00 later…I suggest you throw them away in a toxic landfill.

14. Sandy Says:
    March 5th, 2017 at 5:13 pm

No these are not the same as Greenies. My vet just gave me a few samples & both dogs loved them. One is a early kidney distinction dog, so I’m still trying to find out if these are safe for him (phosphorus & potassium must be kept to minimum).

15. Sandy Says:
    March 5th, 2017 at 5:15 pm

That was early Kidney dysfunction dog.

16. Kate Says:
    March 10th, 2017 at 10:32 am

I was given samples of OraVet chews for my two small Rat Terrier/Jack Russel mix male dogs. In the afternoon of the day I gave them they had both had nasty green loose stools and later one of them vomited green chunks of this product twice. The product is green in color. The next day they both had normal stools and no vomiting. I called the vet office to let them know, and I threw the remaining samples into the trash. My advice is please do not feed these to your dog. Truly, its not worth it.

17. Margeret Says:
    March 15th, 2017 at 5:12 am

You had mentioned electric toothbrushes. Are these specifically for dogs or “human” electric toothbrushes? Also, is it overkill to use the vitamin C (I’m guessing in chewable tablets) and the plaque off? or do you recommend one or the other. Thank you!

18. Dorothy Says:
    March 18th, 2017 at 1:25 pm

Thank you to everyone for sharing their experiences. My dog underwent an extensive dental procedure on 3/15/17, which included 8 extractions. This was done by a board certified dental veterinarian. They advised me to brush his teeth everyday, give him 1 Oravet Dental Hygiene chew per day, and also use Healthy Mouth (a water additive). The website for Healthy Mouth contains a lot of info, but like others, I’m not able to find much info on these chews. I, too, am highly suspicious when I can’t find ingredients ANYWHERE. I do not plan to give my dogs the chews. I also want to comment on the recommendation for raw meaty bones. Over the course of 5 years I gave my dog a RMB every week on the advice of my integrative vet, and they were the cause of several fractured teeth, and a huge vet dental bill. Those clearly are not the answer either. Daily brushing seems to be the best preventative care. I’m hoping the Healthy Mouth water additive is useful as well.

19. Bernadette Says:
    March 22nd, 2017 at 7:12 am

FYI – If you phone Merial they will provide you with a list of ingredients that could cause potential allergies. Here are a few of them. I believe there was one other item included in what gives the green color, but I don’t recall it right now.

Wheat Gluten
    Corn Oil
    Soy and Rice Flour
    Port Gelatin
    Vanilla
    Cellulous
    Calcium
    Alfalfa (gives green color)
    Parsley Flakes (gives green color)
    Potassium Sorbate
    <.3 salt
    sucralose

20. Angela Sima Says:
    April 24th, 2017 at 5:11 pm

Seeing a lot on here about diarrhea…our 10yo maltipoo-havernese has never been sick other than yearly ear infections but has had diarrhea and decreased appetite and lethargy for the last few days. The vet linked it to stress since we just moved but she other than this, she is showing no sign of stress. She looked pretty much normal yesterday, so I gave her a chew. Looks worse today than Saturday, so I wonder…

21. Suzette Says:
    April 30th, 2017 at 3:19 am

My dog started these after his dental surgery. He was fine for awhile. After giving him one last week he was vomiting the whole day. He was throwing up the greenie. I called the manufacturer and reported it. Its been a week and he still is not the same. Slowly weaning him off the Hamburg and rice.

22. Margie Bell Says:
    April 30th, 2017 at 2:36 pm

Nnonono. Gave my Bichon one. Started with loose stools the next day. A few days later Lots of pure blood from rectum. Almost died $1000 later and Er overnight and 2 vet visits with 3 take home medications he is improving. DO NOT USE THESE

23. Marsha Miller Says:
    May 16th, 2017 at 2:51 pm

Our 16 year old mini dachshund has been eating these chews for a few weeks now, every other day. My hubby cuts them in half lengthwise because our dog will chew off a large chunk and swallow without chewing. Hubby holds onto the chew to make sure our dog gets small bites (still without chewing). All of a sudden, the dog is having diarrhea with occasional blood, with additional green color. After having a BM, he scoots his bottom on the grass. His anal sacs are not an issue as they are regularly squeezed. The OraVet chews are the only new introduction to his diet and now I’m thinking the chews are the culprit. He seemed worse this last weekend, and we are monitoring him closely but will give him no further chews. I agree with comments on here – what good are the chews if the dogs just bite off a piece and swallow it. We will go back to Milk Bones.

24. Polly Says:
    July 27th, 2017 at 4:48 pm

Hi. My Shepherd Lab mix recently was given Oravet and also an antibiotic for an ear infection. She has never vomited in the six +years I’ve had her but did after a few days time. An ingredient in this product I read about is a polymer which is a plastic sealant. Could this be coating her stomach causing vomiting? Any science behind ingesting plastic?

Comments