PETA killing 86% of animals in their care

The animal rights group PETA is often in the news with flashy billboards, naked celebrities, and pretty dramatic claims.

But now there are documented reports that PETA kills most of the animals in their care. A group called, ‘PETA Kills Animals’ cites figures self-reported by the animal charity showing since 1998 it euthanized more than 25,000 pets; nearly 86% of the animals in their so called ‘shelter’.

In 2010, PETA managed to place only 44 of the 2,345 pets which were in their care. By comparison, a close by Virginia Beach SPCA has a tiny budget, yet it adopted MOST of the animals in their care.

PETA’s 2010 revenues were more than $35 million — With that you would think they would keep most of the animals in their care alive.

P.S. The basic principle of living with integrity is to ‘practice what you preach’.

Clearly PETA doesn’t abide by that life rule.

My suggestion is to not support this organization. Your time and dollars are much better spent on a local animal shelter, which is giving animals a second chance, and placing them in forever, loving homes.

P.P.S. Of course there are times when the ‘live with integrity’ principle can get you into hot water… I could still be practicing if I had learned to compromise some beliefs.

But in the long run it’s always better to do what you believe is true.

Thanks for listening to my rant..

If you are wanting to see all of the natural and at home remedies others would rather you not use, here is the complete course on doing this at home:

Best Wishes

Dr Andrew J

Topics: Cat Care, Cat Health, Dog Care, Dog Health, Pet Care, Pet health | 8 Comments »

8 Responses to “PETA killing 86% of animals in their care”

1. Dana Says:
    November 26th, 2011 at 8:08 am

PETA has become a perfect example of a good idea gone awry. It probably started with good intentions. Most likely at this point PETA, obviously by the statistics in your blog, takes all those millions to keep themselves rich. I’d never give them my money. They’re full of crap! They are against people keeping companion animals (pets) so why would they adopt them out even to great forever homes?!?! They think they’re doing the animals a favor by keeping them from being “slaves” to humans.
    Support No Kill Nation, the organization that promotes an end to the shelter slaughter that goes on in the US.

2. Anne Says:
    November 29th, 2011 at 8:44 am

Absolutely. The Michael Vick dogs is another example. PETA wanted all the fighting dogs destroyed. Luckily they were taken to Dogtown and rescue groups. Almost all those dogs were rehibilitated. The couple that weren’t will remain in the loving care of Dogtown. Some of the dogs even went on to become therapy dogs!
    It is unfortunate that PETA has it’s claws (excuse the bad pun) in the celebrity crowd. There is a lot of money there and it is shame that the supporters do not inform themselves before they jump onto a certain cause/group.
    Would NEVER support this group.
    There is also a group called ARC angels that go into communities, rescue dogs and cats, spay . neuter, foster and educate the public.

3. dog coats Says:
    November 29th, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Hey Dr. Andrew,

I agree with you 100% As an exhibitor at AKC dog shows, there are always rumors of PETA coming around and letting dogs out of their pens or crates. As a retailer of dog-coats, I am always concerned about the health and welfare of our dogs and support a “no kill” shelter near me.

4. Marja Says:
    December 10th, 2011 at 12:16 am

Pretty shocking, this. I had seen earlier reports of this but put them down to “financing envy.” Now I’m not so sure, especially reading the comment above about the Vick pit bulls! I’m so glad most of them could be rehabilitated!

“Setting Animals Free” is best accomplished by settling them in loving homes with caring people … where they are free to love and be loved.

My cats are my COMPANIONS, not my property, and I love them dearly. I would be pissed as all get-out if someone “freed” them from my home!

5. J. Grant Says:
    December 19th, 2011 at 8:23 am

I was looking for a place to comment on your post (i just moved it here) regarding Peta putting to death a high number of animals coming into their care.I do not believe that Peta has the resources (not referring to financial) for long term care or adoption process of any animals.Nor do they see the necessity unfortunately. Of course that could be easily investigated, follow up on where the pets went after apprehension, stats on successful placements if any. To my knowledge it is being currently investigated and absolutely should be.I am with you Dr Andrew on the Peta concern, and i believe they will find the answers mortifying. Secondly, you may ask why is this mention in this post? Well i guess you could weigh which is the greater evil between putting down unwanted pets to jumping and racing to death other worthy noted animals. To me the humane race needs to practice a greater respect, commitment and compassion towards the safety, health and well being of the animal world in total(pets and non-domestic)..period!

6. Chris L. Says:
    December 22nd, 2011 at 6:49 am

I’m not a huge PETA supporter. I like some of their battles and disagree with a gair amount of their opinions. BUT- for you to quote a bogus website is ridiculous. Rick Berman is a well known shill for corporations that try to send out misinformation for their own profit. http://www.petakillsanimals is part of Center For Consumer Freedom, which is run by Rick Berman.

Google Rick Berman and you will see how many “causes” he is attached to attacking.

7. J. Grant Says:
    December 30th, 2011 at 10:50 am

Chris i think you should do your own homework…. here is the information from a news release.Charges have been laid

8. Marie Says:
    April 11th, 2012 at 8:07 am

In order to kill those animals, the PETA personnel need access to federally regulated drugs (schedule III) and there are laws in almost every state (NC and NH excepted) regarding who may perform euthanasia, not to mention who may possess the drugs.

You also have to document the amount of the drug used and state that it’s used for euthanasia.

I would hope that the DEA will also investigate. In addition, the residues from these drugs enter landfills and can contaminate water sources.

Comments